As we are moving into months of fasting.Let us make Sabudana Vada with a healthy twist.
People can have this dish while they are fasting.
Sabudana Vada is one of those recipes that is made during religious fasting/vrat/upvas. People during the fast do not eat onions, garlic, wheat products,lentils or pulses. You can also enjoy as snacks.
You will majorly find this dish in Maharastra but now you easily find this dish through out India but not as easily available in Maharastra .
Sabudana Vada is general served sweet curd /yogurt but we will serve it with
Coriander Chutney/Dhania Chutney.
We will preparing it in simple steps
- Soaked Sabudana.
- Mix it
- Make Vada
- Cooking of Vada
- Serve it.
- Sabudana(sago/Shaabakki) 150 gm-(Soaked in normal water for 4-5 hours or overnight)
- Potato (4 boiled)
- Peanut (crushed 50 gm)
- Green chili (2-3 chopped)
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves (1/3 cup chopped)
- Cumin seeds (1/2 tbsp)
- Cooking oil
- Sendha namak 1/2 tbsp/ as per taste(Rock Salt)
Step 1 Soaked Sabudana
- Soak the Sabudana or sago in water for 1/2 hours .
- Drain water completely from the soaked Sabudana and let it rest for overnight ,in morning they will become very soft .
- Now we are ready to prepare Vada.
Step 2 Mix it
- Grate/Mash the boiled Potatoes in a bowl.
- Add Soaked sabudana/sago in potato.
- Add Crushed peanuts.
- Add Green chili chopped.
- Add Coriander Leafs.
- Add Sendha Namak.
- Add Cumin Seeds.
- Add Lemon Juice.
- Then mix it well.
Step 3 Form Vada
- Take small portion of mixture.
- Roll it into ball shape.
- Repeat the process to make vada from remaining mixture.
Step 4 Cooking of Vada
- Heat a appam pen on low flame.
- Apply few drops of oil in each moulds.
- Put the vada balls in all the moulds.
- Reduce the flame to low and cover the pan.
- After 3-4 minutes flip it .
- Apply few drops of oil if needed.
- Cover the pan and cook it until it is evenly cooked from all sides,keep flipping/rotating in between Open the lid and flip the vadas.
- Cover the pan and cook it for another 2-3 minute on low flame.
- Open the lid and check it.
- Turn off the flame,take it out in a plate.
Sabudana Vadas are ready to serve.
Serve hot with green chutney or Curd.
You can also deep fry the sabudana vada but try our healthy twist, to fry the sabudana vada use appam maker
You reduce adding lemon juice if you are adding lemon in dips/chutneys which you will be serving with vada.
Please serve it hot and enjoy the taste.
Prepare it with love .
Sabudana – Aid in digestion: Pearl sago is used as one easily digestible non-irritating baby food, as well as a food in inflammatory cases. In such cases, sabudana is boiled with milk or water and then added with sugar or spices to enhance the flavour. Nutritional value: Sago grains are about 2mm in diameter. They are a source of pure carbohydrates with very little protein, vitamin C, calcium and minerals. A hundred gram of dried sago yields about 355 calories, with an inclusion of 94 gms of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.Sago and the body: The main content of sago is carbohydrates and has an ancient history in aiding to certain herbal medicines. Sago along with rice is used to cool the body. It is helpful in treating ailment resulting from too much heat, such as the production of excess bile. As we know it is a renowned food in Indian culture and moreover, it is a staple diet in some continents. The herbal remedy of sago is not hidden outside the Indian subcontinent such as Sri Lanka, New Guinea and other Asian pacific countries. Sago dishes: Various dishes are made from sago as it is easily mixed with wide variety of tastes and spices. However, sago is low in proteins, vitamins and minerals, its combination with other supplements can result into high nutrition and taste. In various parts of India, it is used as fasting food in the form of khichdi or pilaf, soaked sabudana fried with potatoes and other vegetables. Sago possess a high usage in baking breads and pancakes.A high energy booster: Sago food is full of energy, and often served as a food to break the fast. It has high beneficiaries for sick people as a supplement providing enough energy to combat the weakness and ailments.
Above mentioned credit –https://beautyhealthtips.in/health-benefits-eating-sago/
Sendha Namak-(Rock salt ) is the purest form of salt which is devoid of environmental pollutants and chemical components. It contains 84 out of the 92 trace elements required by the body including calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, magnesium, copper and so on. Thus, it is available in drug stores and pharmacies in the form of powder, pill supplement or even as a liquid extract in health beverages. Some of its health benefits are as follows.
1. It aids in digestion and is prescribed for laxative and digestive disorders. It improves appetite, removes gas and soothes heartburn.
2. It facilitates the cellular absorption of minerals. It plays an important role in replenishing the body’s electrolytes and maintaining the pH balance. By stimulating blood circulation and mineral balance it removes toxic minerals and refined salt deposits.
3. It stabilizes blood pressure by maintaining a balance of high and low blood pressures.
4. It aids in weight loss by equalizing minerals which inhibit cravings and eliminate fat dead cells.
5. Rock salt is used as a home remedy for curing many disorders and ailments such as rheumatic pain and herpes, inflammation and irritation from insect bites.
6. Consumption of rock salt along with lemon juice can help in eliminating stomach worms and controlling vomiting. It also provides relief against influenza.
7. It is beneficial for people suffering from respiratory problems and sinus. Gargling with rock salt helps relieves throat pain, throat swelling, dry cough and tonsils. Rock salt is dissolved in water to prepare brine which is used in facial steams for patients suffering from asthma, bronchitis or other nose and ear discomforts.
8. Having brine made with rock salt with a glass of spring water can provide relief in case of arthritis, rheumatism, kidney and bladder stones. Poultice made from this brine can be used to treat wounds, acne or pain due to gout or arthritis.
9. Rock salt can be used as a teeth whitener or mouth freshener. Gargling with rock salt provides relief against sore throat.
10. It can be used as a bath or body salt. You can mix a table spoon of rock salt in your bath water to have a relaxing bath. Bathing in rock salt water combats water retention, soothes sore muscles, regulates sleep, detoxifies your body and lowers your blood pressure. It also eases stress and body pains.
11. One of the most amazing benefits of rock salt is that it overcomes muscle cramps. Those experiencing muscle cramps can mix a spoon of rock salt in water and sip it to get relief within a few minutes.
12. By providing all the essential trace elements, it greatly improves the immune system. It also improves the respiratory, circulatory and nervous systems to a significant extent.
13. It helps in maintaining the flow of salivary and digestive juices. You can add a pinch of rock salt with few shredded mint leaves to your lassi to make a refreshing beverage.
Above information is credit to – http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-rock-salt-for-skin-hair-and-health/